Thursday, 5 May 2016

Camp Reflection

The memories replayed over and over in my head. I still have the excitement in me when I think about it. Just before the first school holidays the Year 8 students at Pt England School had the opportunity to go all the way to Marsden bay camp site which is located south to Whangarei.

I was put into Ruakaka B with Taiaha, Night and Zane. My Leaders were May and Te Mauri. Our group was sent last to the hop onto the buses but we didn't mind. We were put onto a small and quite bus which would only fit our group and a few teachers. On our way we went. I was shocked by the small whispers that I could hear. I thought that it would've been very loud with the voices of exciting children exclaiming how excited they were but I was proven wrong. I looked at the clock which showed a bold blue sign that had 10:33 am on it . By that time we had already past a couple of signs showing how many kilometers to Whangarei there were. I tried to keep awake to see the unique views so I could write about them but I failed and drifted off to sleep.

I woke up at 11:00 am and  found ourselves surrounded by the view of cows eating grass and that we were off the motorway. I whisper a question to May who was sitting next to me and asked her were we were. But she shrugged her shoulders with confusion. I look around as it is still quiet and see half of the bus asleep and but I wasn't shocked to find the boys giggling quietly at the sleeping people's faces. I didn't mind to giggle myself.

A few more minutes had gone and it started to get dark and cloudy. It started to rain. It didn't seem to bother anyone but me. That means when we get to camp we wouldn't be able to play outside. Soon after the rain stopped and the sun was hiding behind the clouds we were close to Whangarei. The bus made a sudden turn into Marsden bay camp site. We had finally arrive. Now at this time the sun is slowly making its way out of the clouds. Out comes the Year 8's and all that is being done at that moment was stretches. It was a long bus ride.

We were given instructions to take all the luggage on top of the deck. The owner and founder came to talk to us with his wife. His name was Michael and his wife was Venetia. They was very welcoming. He took us onto a tour around the camp and all of a sudden I felt something drop on my head. I looked up to the sky in fear and to my surprise its started to rain again. I sigh and in a sudden movement rain falls like a bucket of water was tipped on my head. Splashes were made as we all ran back to the deck to put our luggage into the kitchen hall. I ran back with laughter and grabbed anyone's bag and placed it gently in the kitchen hall hopping it would mess up someone nice and folded clothes. The day started off not well due to the weather but somehow we still tried to make it one of the best days of our lives.

The sun went to make its way around the world and out came the moon. We sat down on the chairs by the tables provided for our groups. We were all excited about our first dinner. Entertainment was also provided by the other groups and it all had to do with being a confident and being a leader.

This camp was on of the most amazing camp I have ever been on. It teaches you valuable lessons but they teach you with fun activities. We learnt that we don't have to depend on people with authority such as prefects and house captains and that even though they do have a bigger role than us we are still a leader. There are different ways to lead and we need to show how we do it to help others. I hope that I can pass this on to help others and I would also like to give a massive thank you to the teachers who came and also the parent helpers who went off work for us to make it possible. Can you just put your hand on the screen you are reading this on and pretend I am giving you a big high five! Thank You!!

No comments:

Post a Comment